If you know about car accident cases when negligence is involved, you know that in order to pursue compensation, you must go through the negligent party’s insurance company. What happens, though, when the other party doesn’t have insurance?

Unfortunately, this is something that has long been a problem throughout the nation. In Georgia, numbers have shown some improvement, but there are still significant problems that arise when a crash occurs and the responsible party has inadequate insurance or doesn’t have coverage at all.

Accidents Involving Uninsured Motorists: What To Do

When you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, it can be difficult to understand how compensation can be recovered. Georgia requires insurance providers to offer drivers uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. This is what is used to protect you in these circumstances.

Uninsured motorist coverage would allow you to handle a claim through your own insurance company, even when another party is at fault for the accident. The insurance coverage can at least match your liability policy in how much you may be covered for following an accident.

Unfortunately, many drivers are unaware of whether they have uninsured motorist coverage. This is especially true after the reform in 2009 that provided two types of uninsured motorist policies: add-on and reduced-by.

Add-on coverage stacks your policy with that of negligent driver should they have inadequate insurance. Reduced-by coverage allows you to use your own uninsured motorist coverage when the policy is more than the other driver’s liability limits.

To better understand what rights you have to uninsured motorist coverage, you should speak with a qualified legal team who knows the specifics of these types of policies. This is exactly what you get with The Kalka Law Group.

Our Atlanta car accident attorneys work hard to help you understand your rights. If the responsible driver doesn’t have insurance and your own provider is denying your claim for uninsured motorist coverage, we’ll work with you to pursue justice on your behalf.

We offer free consultations. Call today to schedule yours: (404) 529-9371.