After a car accident, you want to ensure you have enough evidence to pursue the compensation you deserve. While you should have pictures from the accident, medical reports, and incident reports, you should also consider some of the other important documents you can have.

One thing that many people don’t consider is a pain journal. A pain journal is not necessarily a deal-breaker in a car accident case, but it can help you and your medical provider understand your pain, injury severity, and more. Below, we’ll detail what you should keep in your pain journal and when it comes in handy.

What Goes In A Pain Journal?

In your pain journal, you want to write down any instances in which you feel pain following your accident. You want to include the following details:

  • Any situation in which you experience pain from your injuries
  • The time and date of the pain you feel
  • Where on your body the pain occurs, especially if it’s in the same area of your injury
  • How severe the pain is (give yourself a 1-10 pain level and mark how bad the pain is)

The more information you have, the better.

When Do I Use A Pain Journal?

Your pain journal is helpful in multiple situations. First, you want to have your pain journal with you when speaking with your doctor. Showing your doctor your history of pain allows them to assess the situation accurately and determine just how severe your injury is. This information can also aid in determining when you may return to work.

Second, your legal team should have access to your pain journal and your medical records. Using this information can show just how much pain and suffering you endure, which can play a role in the non-economic compensation you may recover after a car accident.

Our Atlanta car accident lawyers at The Kalka Law Group – Personal Injury & Car Accident Attorneys work hard for you when you suffer harm because of negligence. Our team stands in your corner, championing your ability to pursue compensation and justice following a severe car accident. Let us be your voice.

Call our firm today for a free consultation: (404) 529-9371.