If you’re involved in a car accident with a United States Postal Service (USPS) mail truck, you may wonder what your options are for recovering compensation to pay for your damages. This is a valid concern. Read on to learn what to do.

The USPS Doesn’t Have To Follow State Car Insurance Requirements

The USPS is self-insured, which means they are not required to carry private insurance on their vehicles because they are exempt from state vehicle insurance requirements.

It is important to keep this in mind if you are involved in a crash with a USPS mail truck. Recovering compensation for your losses in an accident with a USPS mail truck is not the same (or as simple) as recovering damages in a standard car accident.

File An Insurance Claim

The best place to start if you sustain damages in an accident with a USPS mail truck is to file a claim with your insurance company. If your insurance company covers your claim, they will seek reimbursement from the USPS. It may take them a while and they may need to file a lawsuit against the USPS under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).

If your insurance company refuses to cover your claim, you may need to file a lawsuit against the USPS under the FTCA. If this is the case, it is in your best interest to work with a skilled personal injury attorney who has experience with these types of claims.

Our Team Can Help

If you’ve been hurt in an accident with a USPS mail truck, you may be owed compensation. Our team wants to help you recover it. Don’t delay—reach out to our office right away to learn what we can do for you.

We offer free consultations and we know how to assist you. Contact our office right away to discuss the details of your case by calling (404) 529-9371 or filling out the online contact form.